Little Rainbow suffered burns to her eyes after a laundry tablet burst in her face
Simone Jones said her daughter Rainbow “screamed the most horrific scream ever” after the tablet popped and sprayed in both her eyes – which could have affected her vision for life. A mum has made an emotional plea to other parents after her baby daughter suffered horrific burns to her eye when a liquid laundry tablet burst in her face.
Simone said the tragic accident happened when she turned her back for a few seconds while serving up food and Rainbow managed to reach inside a child-locked cupboard.
After pulling the single tablet through the small gap it quickly popped and the liquid spread over her face and eyes.
The mum-of-two frantically tried to wash the liquid from her baby’s eyes before rushing her to hospital, writes the Manchester Evening News .
Despite the doctors cleaning her eyes further, they told Simone that Rainbow had 95% burns to the cornea in her left eye – after the protective layer was stripped off – and 5% to the right.
Outrage as school warns parents their children risk ‘sexual exploitation and radicalisation’ if they don’t join after class clubs
Doctors say they won’t know if Rainbow has suffered long term damage to her vision until her pupil responds to light properly – but her eye lid is still not closing properly.
Simone shared details of the incident on Facebook in a post which has now been shared by parents hundreds of times.
In it she says: “My heart is breaking right now. Please everyone keep your liquid tablets for washing away from your children.”
Mum’s shocking pictures show toddler playing on slide next to ‘crack pipe and drugs users’
The 27-year-old said she issued the warning because she is only too aware of the need to keep products away from the children, yet the accident still happened when she’d turned her back for just 30 seconds.
Rainbow Jones while she was recovering in hospital
She said: “I have another child called Phoenix who is possibly autistic so as you can imagine I’m pretty hot on child safety.
Bullied schoolgirl, 12, launches heartbreaking petition begging for help with ‘living hell’
I’m a self employed beauty and massage therapist and I work in a salon from my home, which my two know not to go in, so again I’m very good with product storage and safety.
“I would stress that this occasion was a big accident. I have measures in place for safety within my home for the above reasons, my cupboards have always had child locks, so I never assumed the children could ever crack them.”
She added: “I would most definitely urge all parents to move any chemicals and washing detergents up to a higher place where smaller children can’t explore.
“I turned my back for no more than 30 seconds and that’s as little time as a child needs to cause an accident.
“I never leave my children alone and they have a designated playroom up and downstairs for playing where I can clearly see them both if I’m not in the room.”
Rainbow is now having daily check ups and if her eye is not healing well by Monday she will be put to sleep for a closer examination.